Command line S3 tools

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:05 PM
I'm finding with my application (www.gamedayfilmz.com) that my user groups (Football coaches) are really struggling with these (SpaceBlock, BucketExplorer, S3 Organizer) S3 explorers. Is there any Windows based command line utilities out there?  For my application I've got to encode and compress video and then send it to their S3 account.  If there were command line utilities I could put some scripts together to do this for them.  Thanks.
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2008 at 1:02 AM
Have you tried the S3 Solutions Catalog?  http://solutions.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=66

I know there are command line tools out there, but most of them require perl, ruby, java, etc. 

It would not be difficult create a small windows exe that repackages the S3 lib that SpaceBlock uses, I'd be willing to put something like this together if you came up with the requirements (and they were simple enough...)

Thanks,
- John
Sep 3, 2008 at 7:11 AM
Thanks for the pointer. I looked but didn't find anything. My application is pretty straight forward. (But beyond my capabilities I'm afraid.) But it seems just an S3 explorer is beyond many peoples capabilities.

I was hoping I could do something like this from the command line. "S3upload.exe -public publickey -secret secretkey -f file(s) -b bucketname -f folder -acl readall" which would then take "file" and insure that it was uploaded to the bucketname/folder with acl set to readall. My work flow goes like this: On the PC I import a series of video clips in AVI format then I have to start crunching on them and convert them to a mp4 format. It would be nice to be able in the background to upload each mp4 file as it is created. Since it takes longer to crunch them that it does to upload them then by the time I'm done crunching 150 files they would also already be uploaded. In addition the user wouldn't have to manually upload them. I suppose they would still need to use something like SP to set up the buckets etc. I use autohotkey as a scripting language to do all sorts of things and I suspect others would find a command line S3 organizer of great use.
I'm sloshing through picking up php and mysql. I've enjoyed mashing things together but I don't really grok the whole object oriented paradigm.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

-steve-

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM, JohnSpurlock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Have you tried the S3 Solutions Catalog? http://solutions.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=66

I know there are command line tools out there, but most of them require perl, ruby, java, etc.

It would not be difficult create a small windows exe that repackages the S3 lib that SpaceBlock uses, I'd be willing to put something like this together if you came up with the requirements (and they were simple enough...)

Thanks,
- John

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (spaceblock@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email spaceblock@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:13 AM
Ok, I just started a new command-line tool called rescmd and posted the first version over on http://codeplex.com/resourceful

Right now, it is very simple and only supports a single service (s3) and a single action (put-object).  You should be able to upload a file (including ensuring the bucket exists) using the following command: 

rescmd s3 put-object aws-key:<yourkey> aws-secret:<yoursecret> file:<yourfile>  bucket:<thebucket> key-prefix:path/to/folder/  create-bucket:true acl:public-read

This command-line tool includes some of the same code that SpaceBlock builds on, wrapped up into a small single executable.  Let me know if it works for you and let me know what other operations you'd find useful.  I've been wanting to do this for a while, and you prompted me to get started.

Thanks!
- John
Sep 4, 2008 at 4:44 AM
This is excellent!! Works great and I expect many to make use of it. I'll add my comments over on its codeplex site.
Thanks!

-steve-

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:13 PM, JohnSpurlock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok, I just started a new command-line tool called rescmd and posted the first version over on http://codeplex.com/resourceful

Right now, it is very simple and only supports a single service (s3) and a single action (put-object). You should be able to upload a file (including ensuring the bucket exists) using the following command:

rescmd s3 put-object aws-key: aws-secret: file: bucket: key-prefix:path/to/folder/ create-bucket:true acl:public-read

This command-line tool includes some of the same code that SpaceBlock builds on, wrapped up into a small single executable. Let me know if it works for you and let me know what other operations you'd find useful. I've been wanting to do this for a while, and you prompted me to get started.

Thanks!
- John

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM

You might also like to have a look at http://s3.codeplex.com