A bit off topic but....

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:20 AM
I use s3 to store sports videos for different school sports programs. Rather than me managing (and paying for) the accounts I'd like an easy way to have the schools/coaches have s3 accounts and me have access to them. They need to easily upload their videos then Somehow (email?) inform me which buckets/folders they have uploaded them to so I can link my php scripts back the videos. We are talking about football coaches so it has to be simple. Any Ideas?
Coordinator
Jul 4, 2008 at 3:30 PM
Well, doing this with SpaceBlock would currently mean having them go through the following steps:

a.  Create an S3 account   (first-time only)
b.  Launch SpaceBlock and enter S3 account information   (first-time only)
c.  Create an S3 folder (bucket)  (first-time only)

1. Upload video to S3 folder (bucket)
2. Right click on video -> Edit ACL
3. New Principal -> From Email Address -> enter your email address (the email address you use to log into amazon)  -> Add -> Save
4. Right click on video -> Generate Url -> Generate -> Copy to clipboard
5. Paste url into an email to you

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:28 PM

JohnSpurlock wrote:
Well, doing this with SpaceBlock would currently mean having them go through the following steps:

a.  Create an S3 account   (first-time only)
b.  Launch SpaceBlock and enter S3 account information   (first-time only)
c.  Create an S3 folder (bucket)  (first-time only)

1. Upload video to S3 folder (bucket)
2. Right click on video -> Edit ACL
3. New Principal -> From Email Address -> enter your email address (the email address you use to log into amazon)  -> Add -> Save
4. Right click on video -> Generate Url -> Generate -> Copy to clipboard
5. Paste url into an email to you

Thanks.  I guess a little more detail on my part might be helpful.  Each week the football team(s) upload about 150 clips (average clip size 2Meg) Thanks for the instructions.  Is there a way to do the second set of stuff (1-5) in a macro of sorts?  Basically I'd like point to a folder click "do it" and then over the next hour or so it all just happens.  I could even cut and paste something together (with my favorite scripting language autohotkey) if there are command line utilities for each of the steps.  Also and a bit further off topic (but related to your step 3 above) when I set up my S3 account somehow it got setup with an old (now invalid) email address from when I was an amazon.com early adopter.  I can't figure out how to change it.  I don't see an option for changing email addresses in my profile. (doubly weird is that the billing information gets sent to my current email address.)  Thanks for your help.
Jul 6, 2008 at 5:28 AM
I guess I'm still not understanding this very well.  I want to make a folder (or in some cases a bucket) accessible by a third party (who has an S3 account.)  Using SB I can use edit ACL to change the permission on the folder but I can't then generate a web address for a folder.  The files in the folders are all set to be accessed by the third party but I can't select all of them for url generation (of course) at one time.  Finally I could have a single (mapping) file in the folder and select that for url generation but then I guess I don't actually know how the third party is to access that file anyway.  So if I make a new principle and email them the url how do they access it? (and better yet how can they access the entire folder?)  Thanks.