This project is read-only.

Copy/Move data: Nirvanix2S3 or S32S3 etc.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:05 PM
I am not an expert with the details of neither Nirvanix nor S3 when it comes to moving/copying data.
Is it possible using SpaceBlock to transfer (copy/move) data from one S3 (or Nirvanix) folder to another S3 (or Nirvanix) folder on the some or a second account? I assume that the data is downloaded to my local computer as an intermediate step which is not exactly good in terms of bandwidth.
Coordinator
Apr 18, 2008 at 5:45 PM
Right now, transfers between accounts (or between different directories on the same account) are streamed via the machine on which you're running SpaceBlock. So you're right, you'll incur bandwidth for the transfer, but not necessarily local temp space (streamed directly from the source to the destination).

The reason that SpaceBlock does not have move, copy, or rename commands is because S3 does not support them (Nirvanix does).

Fortunately, Amazon is planning on adding this functionality in the near future, and you'll probably see it in SpaceBlock soon after that.
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/thread.jspa?threadID=20409
Apr 19, 2008 at 11:38 PM
Thank your for your reply.

Another related question: I came across an application on the Nirvanix webpage which allows to transfer data from S3 to Nirvanix via "sideloading" http://developer.nirvanix.com/files/folders/applications/entry886.aspx.
Are there plans to integrate such functionality in SpaceBlock too?

Secondly, can my data which I upload via SpaceBlock in the first place be easily read/managed later by other tools or are my files/folders stored in any proprietary format? (S3 or Nirvanix)
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2008 at 12:37 AM
The idea right now with SpaceBlock is to provide the set of functionality common to both services (S3 and Nirvanix) first, and then get to requested features specific to one or the other. e.g. there are a few S3-specific features in the current version such as bucket-logging management. The sideloading feature would be a Nirvanix-specific feature, as S3 does not have an equivalent function.

The Nirvanix support is experimental at the moment, but will mature as time permits, and as demand for this service type grows. Of course, I'd also be willing to prioritize any features that people would be willing to pay for! : )

As far as interoperability with other tools, the S3 file-system stores files in the most common directory-simulating format (i.e. the same way as the S3 Firefox Organizer). The Nirvanix format is just using the standard directory api provided by Nirvanix.

Hope that helps!
- John