Generating public URLs

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:05 PM
Ok, cool, so Spaceblock will generate signed URLs that timeout for me. But how in the world do I generate just simple public URLs? I've figured out that I can go into properties, get the path, and then paste it onto s3.amazonaws.com, but there must be an easier way... This is something I do so frequently, that a simple point menu option seems obvious.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM
Good suggestion - I've just updated the url generation dialog to include public urls - should be in the app the next time you open it up.

http://www.codeplex.com/spaceblock/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=1964

Thanks,
- John
Apr 6, 2008 at 1:41 PM
Wow, that's what I call agile development! Works like a charm, and does exactly what I was looking for. I looked long and hard for the right program to manage my S3 account, especially fast large-scale deletes, and SpaceBlock fit the bill. Now, with this public URL generation, it does everything I need it to. Thanks!

The only issue I've had so far is I've gotten a several long transfers that were "forcibly terminated by host", which I assume are connection resets. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that with any other program, although perhaps they were retrying in the background and I didn't know it. It could just be a coincidence with Amazon having server issues.

Coordinator
Apr 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM

booyau wrote:

The only issue I've had so far is I've gotten a several long transfers that were "forcibly terminated by host", which I assume are connection resets. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that with any other program, although perhaps they were retrying in the background and I didn't know it. It could just be a coincidence with Amazon having server issues.

I haven't seen this one yet. I'd be curious if this happens...
- on xp or vista
- using ssl or not
- transferring a single large file (size?) or a large job made up of several small files
- uploading or downloading
- eu or us datacenter

Next time you run across this, could you post the full error message here? Thanks!